Eyebrow Plucking Shaving and Shaping
Style Me Quirky have had a whole range of clients including men, women, crossdressers, bands, fashion designers, models, burlesque dancers, hen party makeovers, you name it, we’ve had all shapes and sizes genders and ages through the door! One topic that keeps reoccurring is that of eyebrow shaping. SmQ clients seem to have a diverse range of eyebrows styles from perfect shaping on some of the girls we see to some worryingly wet shaved, scissor cut and clipped eyebrows on male clients right through to a transvestite client who was visiting our dressing service and told us how she uses pritt stick glue to gum her eyebrows down! Please don’t try this at home! We will have to write a separate blog to describe how to use spirit gum and morticians wax to gum your eyebrows out properly another time!
Style Me Quirky Eyebrow Top Tips
- Read this whole blog first and do some of your own research before starting. If you have a loved one or friend handy, get them to give you a second opinion as you go along to tell you if you are over-plucking! Style Me Quirky takes no responsibility at all for your own eyebrow plucking attempts!
- Use good slate-tipped tweezers, available from all good chemists
- Pull the skin taught with your other hand – it hurts less and causes less irritation – and the hair comes out easier
- Pluck the hairs in the direction of the hair – also hurts less and causes less irritation
- Don’t pluck your eyebrows just before going out as you will have pink irritated eyelids!
- If its your first time, don’t pluck your eyebrows before a night out or putting your makeup on as you may be stressed or rushing and are therefore more likely to mess it up. Putting makeup straight on after plucking might irritate your skin too.
- Always pluck from the bottom up
- TAKE BREAKS – if it is your first time, do the most obvious offenders, take a break come back and get a better perspective of how the shape is coming along. If you get stuck right in you run the risk of over-cooking it and plucking your eyebrows to thin or damn near completely off which makes you look constantly surprised and pretty daft! Trust me we’ve all done it!
- Avoid plucking from the top unless there are just a couple of errant hairs – the top of your brow is where you get the shape from
- Tidy up at first don’t go straight for perfection – for men and transgender clients in particular, tidying the long ones out and the untidy ones in the middle of your brow and lower in the socket area will make you look nicely groomed rather than giving yourself thin girly brows for your next client meeting :s
- Use your makeup brushes held against your face as a guide to see where your eyebrows should start and end. A nightmare to describe check out the pictures below to see what we mean.
- Don’t use a wet razor boys! If you have a mono-brow, DON’T shave it off with your razor! within hours you will get stubble there and honestly it looks so much worse than you’re original monobrow! Pluck them out with tweezers!
- Don’t clipper or trim your eyebrows (boys and cross-dressers again). Trimmed or clipped eyebrows look nearly as bad as wet shaved ones! If you have mega lashes sticking out, pluck em out. You can tidy up and thin out your eye-brows plucking out and great big long or overly thick ones, just take breaks and don’t pull too many out from the same area so you don’t leave gaps.
If you aren’t sure, especially if its the first time you’ve done it, book in to have them done professional at hair or beauty salons that do eyebrows and ask them to talk you through it as they go. Take a little makeup mirror with you and ask if you can watch what they are doing. Once you’ve had them done once, its much easier to keep them in shape yourself with regular grooming.
Alternatively of course, book in for an appointment with us and let us know you want us to tidy them up for you and we will gladly help out!
Please comment and feel free to get in touch and let us know if you would like to see blog topics on specific subjects and we will see what we can do.
To enquire or book a quirky makeover and photography session; firstname.lastname@example.org +44 7508 972648